Posted at 10:50 am EST, 6:50 pm on Mount Kilimanjaro
by Sarah Bradfield
“We just danced with and sang with and thanked and shared the mission with all the porters. It was so beautiful and joyful it nearly moved me to tears. I feel like today we have discovered fullness of joy.” – Madison, 9:02 am EST, 5:02 pm on Mount Kilimanjaro
Itinerary of the Day:
Today’s the team climbed up to the Mawenzi Tarn Hut, which is at an altitude of 14,206 ft. They had lunch along the way. From the Tarn Hut, the climbers are viewing the Kibo huts, which is their final destination before they summit. Currently, the climbers are resting at their campsite, and will spend the night in tents.
Quotes from our Climbers:
“Good morning Africa” – Madison, 12:15 pm EST, 8:15 AM on Mount Kilimanjaro
“So another morning on the mountain! Got about 5 to 6 hrs of sleep…cccold, headaches and nauseous. Had to crawl out of my tent and sleeping bag twice to go…brrrrr! Days are mostly warm unless the clouds or fog rolls in, nights are cold. The pay off at night is the beauty! Last night when I got up to pee, the sky was unbelievable with glistening stars and a brilliant moon casting the most incredible light across Uhuru and the other peeks. It was pure and spectacular! I’ve never seen a sky like that in my life…AMAZING!” – Cheryl, 2:30 am EST, 10:30 am on Mount Kilimanjaro
“Today we only climb for three hours…but it’s straight up! Need prayers for myself and other team members adjusting to altitude, blisters, fatigue, dizziness, nausea and more…
My legs are already like Jello and I’m dizzy, but the guides are taking good care of us. I’m trusting God to take me to the summit…because that’s the only way.” – Cheryl, 3:02 am EST, 11:02 am on Mount Kilimanjaro
“We are really getting up there!
Top of the ski lifts in Whistler, BC (6069ft)…
Top of the ski lifts at Lake Louise (8652ft)…
Top of Vail, Colorado (11,570ft)…
Very peak of highest mountain in the Canadian Rockies – Mt Robson (12,972ft).
Today we climb from 11,811 to 14,160 feet!!… and that’s just to put us in position for the two most extreme days ahead. Kilimanjaro = 19,341 ft.” – Cheryl, 3:21 am EST, 11:21 am on Mount Kilimanjaro
“We had amazing prayer and scripture this morning and I feel like God is really picking up the pace of our walk and closeness and height with Him. We do not go ‘po-le po-le’ with Him. Hallelujah! And I call Deo, our guide, Dad now. And he goes ‘My daughter!!!” – Madison, 9:02 am EST, 5:02 pm on Mount Kilimanjaro
Prayer Requests for Today:
- Please pray for one of the international climbers who is having trouble with the strenuous cardio workout, as well as the altitude. She only has sneakers to wear, whereas the other ladies have hiking boots. Pray for supernatural strength, and protection for her feet. Pray that she wouldn’t get altitude sickness.
- Pray for a good night’s sleep. The next two days will be the toughest part of the climb, and the women will need to be very well rested.
- Pray that the women will stay warm through the night, and during the day as they further approach the summit and the temperature drops.
- Pray that God will continue to be speaking to the women throughout the climb, and showing them His goodness and mercy.
- Pray for the women and children worldwide trapped in cycles of oppression, abuse, and trafficking.
- Pray that this effort would bring hope and help to 10,000 women and children this year!!!
Scripture for Today:
“Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me.” – Psalm 54:4